Sunday, January 1, 2012

Not So Lazy Susan

My sister-in-law received this really nice wine barrel lazy susan for Christmas and I immediately ran out to recreate it!
http://tinyurl.com/7xveck4


The William Sonoma version retails for $149, but can be recreated for $26 (even cheaper if you have access to a wine barrel)! Here's how:



  • 23" diameter unfinished wooden table top = $11
  • wood stain (any color would be nice--I used American Walnut) = $4
  • lazy susan hardware (found in pulls and knobs section of Home Depot) = $5
  • black acrylic paint = $2
  • polyurethane = $4
  • optional stencils (I used some stencils I had on hand, but wish I drew freehand)
  • flat head screws
  • optional wood 1" squares to raise the lazy susan from ground (I did not end up using)
Step 1:
Sand any uneven nicks or bumps before starting. Stencil on any words or designs you want with the black acrylic paint. I copied the William Sonoma version by writing Sonoma Cabernet and then adding my monogram up top in a floral design stencil. I did this under the stain to make the writing seem more "etched" than painted.


Step 2:
Stain both sides of the table top and let dry overnight.


Step 3:
Apply polyurethane and let dry.


Step 4:
Flip the table top over to the wrong side, measure the center of the table and drill screws through the screw holes in the lazy susan and into the table top.
Step 5:
Flip over and enjoy some wine, cheese and crackers!


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! You should mention, polyurthene needs to be ok to use with food products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ELF I love your blog!! Thanks for sharing your creative ideas. I plan on sharing your blog with all my friends. Your so creative! xxxooo AM

    ReplyDelete